So this is Mt. Bierstadt and if you'll look at the highest point on the mountain (slightly to the right), then you might just see me up there laughing with pure excitement for making it to the top! Ok, so you won't really see me if you look hard enough. I took that picture when I was back at the parking lot BUT I did make it to the top. That's right, this "flatlander" (what many Coloradans called us) climbed 14, 065ft and did not die. Not only did I not die, but I cannot wait to do it again. K and I went to Colorado last Wednesday for a little kid free get away. Which by the way sounds awesome, our first time away together in three years, but I'll spare you all the moments we spent not doing cool things and were actually just watching videos of our kids over and over... Anyway, we got there Wednesday and climbed this bad boy Friday morning. We didn't give ourselves much time to acclimate to the new climate, so I was a little worried about not being able to breathe. I wasn't sure I could make it to the top and I definitely wasn't sure I could make it to the top and be heading down before the afternoon storms hit. Apparently 13 people were struck by lightning on this very mountain last month. So we headed for the mountain at 4:45 a.m. and arrived at the pass at 6:30a.m. where it was 35 degrees at the end of July!!! I wore some layers but still froze the first hour we were climbing. The route we took is marked in the picture below.
It took me 3 1/2 hours to get from the parking lot to the very top. That time included lots of rest, snack, and water breaks.
This is us about to get started on the trail!
Our first obstacle involved crossing a stream, where I immediately put my foot in the water instead of on the rock.... Oh well, it wasn't cold enough to worry about frost bite...
This picture is my cute husband who did not step in the water on his way across BUT did on the way back!
The higher you go the thinner the air, the harder to breathe, and the need for lots of breaks! This was our first big break. When you get started on the trail you aren't really climbing much, so you are deceived by the easiness of it. Our idea was we should go as hard as we can while we can and make good time before we have to slow down. I don't know how smart that was. We were digging into the snacks and taking a long break in this picture. Oh, and enjoying that beautiful scenery!!
Can't call me a flatlander after this climb! Still a long way to go....
And here I am!! At the top!! My head is like literally in the clouds!! Flippin' awesome... I was just giddy up there. The last leg of the climb isn't exactly straight up but it does involve some boulder climbing, and let me tell you... THAT IS THE BEST PART! I couldn't wipe the smile off of my face the whole climb. Actually, I still can't wipe the smile off my face! I know I already said this, but I CANNOT WAIT TO DO IT AGAIN!
Check out the views from the top...
This is my favorite picture
Even though those views are awesome, I wouldn't say that is the best part about making it to the top. It's all about the accomplishment when you are standing on top of a mountain you just climbed. Some people want to run a marathon, some people want to do triathlons, some people want to do navy seal training for 13 hours straight... I want to climb as many mountains as I possibly can. Maybe I should move to Colorado...
Until next time....












No comments:
Post a Comment