Why do bad things happen to good people? This question was brought up to me this week and not for the first time. I've thought the question multiple times myself...so why do bad things happen to good people? I hear people ask that question all the time. I think that thought is one of the main thoughts that hardens people's hearts towards Christ. But should the question be "why do bad things happen to good people?" or "are there good people?" I know that seems like a harsh thought, but isn't it the better question? Why do we see ourselves as so good? Why do we feel like we are entitled or owed something better in this world? What do we do to earn that entitlement? So we don't rape, kill, or steal. Is that all it takes to be owed something better? The bible is clear. No sin is worse than another and we all sin everyday, constantly. For example, I cannot stop talking about one of my coworkers. He irritates me to death. Every time something happens I tell myself I'm not going to share it with anyone else, and then my mouth opens and out it comes. I know that doesn't sound as bad as murder, but it does discredit my coworker. It makes him look bad to others that might have been indifferent before I opened my mouth. While others might not see this as anything to worry about, the bible is clear. I am no better than the murderer. If he doesn't deserve good things then why do I feel like I do? I don't. None of us do. It is by God's amazing grace that I have been given the most amazing gift. An eternity of no fear, pain , or sadness. An eternity of peace and joy. I did nothing to deserve it. No one can earn it. No one can be good enough.
So yes we aren't as good as we think we are, but why do such bad things happen to people who try to be good? Well, I do believe God has a purpose for everything that happens to us. Without heartbreak how do we recognize joy? Without sadness how do we appreciate laughter? I also believe that the devil doesn't make the distinction between good people and bad people. Neither does the destruction of sin. When sin escaped into our world it brought destructive thoughts, disease, heartache, barren wombs... Adam and Eve didn't know these things in the beginning. They weren't meant to. When they ate the forbidden fruit the world as it was meant to be broke. Bad things happen because it has not been mended yet. So why do we get angry at God instead of getting angry at sin? Why do we run from Him instead of running to Him? The God who can beat sin. The God who offers us a future life without the destructiveness of sin.
I hope I always remember this. I hope I can teach this to my daughter. Oh did I forget to mention that WE ARE HAVING A LITTLE GIRL!!!! We found out on Thursday and couldn't be happier. It made it all very real all of the sudden. I have played out so many situations in my head already and tried to think out how I will handle them when they happen. Yes I know that everything will be different when it actually happens, but I don't care. I wonder how we will teach her so many things... I wonder if her dad will ever let her leave the house. The chances are slim :). But most of all I wonder how we will show her the love of Christ, how will we teach her His word, how will we not screw up?!?! I know that is inevitable at some point so no comments!
Oh well, with a lot of prayer and I am sure a few deep breaths :) we will figure it out as it comes!
No comments:
Post a Comment