Thursday, January 28, 2016

Fairy Tales...

Hello.  It's been a while....

So over the Christmas break we took a quick, and rather spur of the moment, trip to Colorado.  Christmas here was hot and humid and it just ticked me off.  I pulled out all the stops to convince K to drive his pregnant wife, a 3 year old, and an almost 2 year old 18 hours for a couple of days in the snow.  I'm ashamed to say that tears may have been involved.  Pregnant women are irrational.  We all know it.  No need to linger on the fact...

Anyway, we had a great time and our kids did amazing.  We drove straight through there and back and we didn't have a single tear or whining (even from me).  I think Blythe loved the car ride almost as much as the snow...










One might ask how on earth we managed to drive 18 hours without complete meltdowns?? Well it mostly involved lots of movie watching.  Both my kids love to watch movies.  I try to limit it at home, but in the car it was a free for all.  At one point on the way back to Texas Blythe said she was scared of something going on in a movie. She had seen this movie probably ten times.  K told her she didn't have to be scared, that she knew the movie had a happy ending....just like in real life.  I was brought up short when he said that last part.  I quickly told him I didn't want her to think that.  Life is not a fairy tale.  Things don't always work out the way we want them to.  The girl isn't always rescued.  The boy doesn't always get the girl.  You don't always make the team.  Sometimes the bad guy wins.  Sometimes the people aren't saved.... I think it's important to not always expect a happy ending.  I think that's what's wrong with so many people today.  Why they don't work hard for things.  They are confused and think everything has a happy ending and if it doesn't then it's not worth fighting for.  Or it's time to give up.  Or they are so blind sided when things don't go the way they want that they sink into depression or become angry at life...at God.  But God doesn't promise us an easy life on earth.  In fact He says it will be hard.  Our reward is in Heaven.  Is in the afterlife for those who believe and have a relationship with Christ.  

And that is where K stopped my rant.  

He said I proved his point...that was our happy ending.  That was our real life fairy tale.  For believers in Christ we DO always get the happy ending.  We run a bumpy race full of ups and downs, but in the end, if we really did run HIS race, we do get our perfect story.  We get an eternity with Christ.  Where no one gets sick, where no one gets a broken heart, where we live FULL of pure joy and peace and love. 

So I stand corrected and the much better for it.  I still want my kids to know that life is not and will not always be easy, but more than that I want them to know the good news of the Gospel.  That our faith in Christ, the one who died for our sins then rose from the grave having defeated evil so we could spend an eternity with Him, is where our happy ending lies.  The one and only way we are guaranteed a happy ending.  

So here's to happy endings.... I hope you all know the hope and peace it carries. 

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment