Friday, August 31, 2012

The waiting game and the first day of school...

So I was just reading my last post and heard just how naive I sounded.  All you mommy's out there were probably thinking I shouldn't have had my hopes so high... and you were right!  I am still pregnant.  My due date is Sunday, my next appointment is Wednesday, and I will be induced at the end of that week.  I still might pop on my own which I am really hoping for but not holding my breath. It looks like Blythe WILL have the famous Baker stubborn streak.  My last appointment had me at barely 3 cm and 80% effaced.  When I left the office doc said to make my next appointment just so we don't jinx anything.  Maybe that statement is the jinx... she said that the week before also.

I went back to work on the 20th and got to set everything up for my long term sub.  I planned to start the year with the students, but after being almost in tears every night after that first week, I decided to start my maternity leave early.  So Tuesday came and I didn't get the first day jitters, I didn't get to meet my 6th graders, I didn't get to compare first days with my coworkers... and I thought I would be just fine.  I was wrong.  I missed it much more than I thought I would.  First impressions are important when building relationships and I didn't get to make one.  When I go back the kids will be all settled in and all thoughts of trying to impress the teacher will be out with that first week of school.  I know once baby girl gets here I won't have many thoughts about work, but while I wait I can't stop checking emails and asking how things are going...  I might complain about all the extras teachers have to do but I love working with my students.  I love building relationships with them and being someone they can trust.  AND no matter how bad my feet hurt I always love the first week of school.

I guess almost having a child of my own made me think a lot more about that first day.  We had quite a few in our circle of family and friends that started kindergarten this year, some who started a new school, and still more who just started a new grade.  I've never really thought about what a big deal all that is until this year.  I worried and prayed that they would have nice, caring, patient, and consistent teachers; that they would make friends that were good influences; that they would be courageous in learning and exploring; that they would have a sense of humor instead of anger when things didn't go their way.  The social part of school was always so hard for me.  I was so shy I was too afraid to ask to go to the restroom...  I hope the kids in my life don't ever feel that way.  I hope Blythe never feels that way.  I pray she is brave and doesn't care what others think.  I pray she is outgoing and embraces whatever it will be that makes her different from everyone else.  I pray I know how to show her the importance of those qualities...

So this post was suppose to be just an update but ended up a lot mushier than I expected!  I guess it fits my mood this week!

Hope everyone has had a great week and this should really be the last post before Blythe Elizabeth arrives!

No comments:

Post a Comment