Tuesday, April 21, 2015

An Ode to my Crock pot...

Oh Crock pot how I love thee
You make dinner (and life) so much easier
So many ingredients can be thrown in you before the evening when my kids go crazy
You cook all day while I play (with babies) and run errands
and in those crazy evening hours before daddy comes home, you make it possible to sit and hold two crying kids instead of trying to cook with them each holding on to a leg!
Oh and you make cleaning up easier too!
Oh crock pot how I love thee

Seriously.  I really do love my crock pot for the exact reasons listed above.  Crock pot meals were easier when I worked and they are easier now.  When I meal plan for the week I try to get at least two CP meals in there, who am I kidding, I try to make them all CP meals.  However, K likes a little more variety each week and doesn't like leftovers too much.  Another good thing about the CP!! It usually makes at least enough for two nights.  That means I get a night with no cooking just reheating....and That. Is. Awesome.  
So let's see... Some of my favorite CP meals:

Michelle's Chicken Tortilla Soup
1/2 chopped onion
1 clove minced garlic
1 sm bunch of cilantro-chopped
2 cans of chicken broth (low sodium)
1 sm can of tomato sauce
1/2 a package of taco seasoning
1 (16oz) can of mexican style tomatoes
2 cans of corn drained
1 tbs worchestire sauce
3 whole boneless, skinless chicken breasts
salt and pepper to taste

put all ingredients together in your CP and cook on low 6-8 hours or on high 4-6 hours.  Shred chicken with forks (it just falls apart as you stir it really).  Serve with whatever you want.  We do avocado, cheese, and tortilla chips.  I change it up sometimes and it's always good.  I usually add more chicken broth and a little more taco seasoning and we don't like cilantro much around here so that gets left out... 

Chicken Tacos
3 or 4 chicken breasts
1 cup of your favorite salsa
1/2 a package of taco seasoning

That's it.  Put it all in the CP 4 hours on high or 7 on low.  Shred chicken and put it on anything.  Seriously.  You can make chicken tacos with all the sides.  You can do nachos, tostadas, lettuce wraps...anything you want.

Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches
3 chicken breasts
A large bottle of your favorite buffalo sauce
1/2 a package of ranch dressing mix
2 tbsp of butter

Put everything except the butter in the CP and cook on low for about 5 to 6 hours.  Add the butter at the end and shred the chicken. K likes it on fresh bakery bread with provolone cheese melted all over it.  It's also really good in a salad!

Thebluehouseblog.com Texas Chili
2lbs of ground beef
1/2 onion chopped
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
1 (14 1/2oz) can of beef broth
1/2 cup chili powder
3 tsp garlic salt
2 tbsp cumin
1 tsp hungarian paprika
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/8-1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, depending on if you want your kids to eat it or nor!
1/2 tsp of black pepper

Brown onion and ground beef together in a skillet over medium heat.  Drain and rinse, and return meat to CP.  Add remaining ingredients and simmer on low for up to 6 hours.  
**Disclaimer: I found this recipe on pinterest twice... but both times the page shows an error and no recipe after I pin it. So you can search for Texas Chili at thebluehouseblog.com and see if it comes up.  Luckily I took a picture of it after I panicked when I couldn't find it the first time!! 
Also, I use a little less chili powder than it calls for and I have no idea if my paprika is Hungarian paprika or not... it just says paprika and the chili still tastes good so.....

Loaded potato Soup (www.thecountrycook.net)
4lbs potatoes (red skin, russet or yukon gold) peeled and cubed
1/2 cup f chopped onion
2 (14oz) cans of chicken broth
2 tsps salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cloves of minced garlic
2 cups half and half
Garnish: shredded cheese, crumbled bacon, sliced green onions

Layer sliced (or cubed) potatoes in a lightly greased CP. Top with chopped onion and garlic (the recipe says this is optional, but garlic makes everything better...). Add chicken broth, salt and pepper...broth will not completely cover potatoes.  Cook on low for 8 hours or until potatoes are tender.  Then mash mixture with a potato masher and stir in half and half.  Cook on high for 20 more minutes or until heated through.  Serve with favorite toppings.

Slow Cooker Tamale Pie (Six Sister's Stuff)
1 lb of ground beef
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp pepper
1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
1 can diced tomatoes with mild green chilis, undrained
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
1 can enchilada sauce
2 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
1 package corn bread/muffin mix
2 eggs
1 cup shredded mexican blend cheese

in skillet, cook beef until no longer pink and drain.  Stir in the cumin, salt, chili powder and pepper.  transfer to CP, stir in beans, tomatoes, corn, enchilada sauce, onions, and cilantro.  Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until heated through.  In a small bowl, combine muffin mix and eggs; spoon over meat mixture.  Cover and cook 1 hour longer or until toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.  sprinkle with cheese and serve with whatever sides you like.

So the real reason for this post.... I've shared mine now you share yours!!! Anyone have a favorite CP recipe they can share with me?!?!  I need more recipes so I can use my crock pot more and give K a variety ;).

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment