Our small group adopted a family for Christmas this year! I worked a little with the organization Project Joy and Hope last year, and I wanted to go through them again. The organization helps families with children who need medical attention and struggle doing life and medical bills. Sometimes they provide the family a place to live, help pay medical bills, provide items they need. They are on facebook so check them out! I contacted the organization at the beginning of December to ask for a family to adopt. When I got Ms. Wheeler, one of the ladies who runs Project Joy and Hope, on the phone she was telling me about the families I could choose from. She mentioned the Smith family and how amazing she thought the mom was. Ms. Smith is a single mom with an 11 year old and a 2 year old; the 2 year old has chronic lung disease and requires nurse care. Ms. Smith is putting herself through school but can't find a job that allows her to be home when the nurse comes to take care of Matthew. Ms. Wheeler kept returning to this family as we talked, so I told her let's go with them. We have an amazing small group and we gathered enough money to get everything Ms. Smith needed. She was very hesitant to ask for anything and when Ms. Wheeler suggested a bike for her 11 year old she said to not put that on the list because it was asking too much. We made sure that kid got a bike! Anyway, it was an amazing visit and felt wonderful to do for someone else and spread the real meaning of Christmas. Here are some pictures!
Matthew came up to Dustin immediately and he was by far his favorite! He would go to someone else for a second but always returned to Dustin!
Isaiah liked his bike but did not want to take a picture! I couldn't catch him still fast enough!
Our group with the Smiths! Matthew is still with Dustin... :)
Matthew is definitely a miracle. The doctors actually tried to convince Ms. Smith to terminate her pregnancy once they realized all the complications. She did not want to do that and before she could make up her mind Matthew came extra early. The doctors said he would not walk, probably would not hear or see. HE CAN DO ALL THREE! They are still struggling to get more weight on him. Once that happens some of the medical items could be removed! This family was amazing. Please keep them in your prayers: a job with a flexible schedule for mom and some weight on Matthew.
Thank you!
No comments:
Post a Comment